Table Of Contents
Start preparing 4 weeks before you move
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Give away or discard any items you do not want to move.
- Prepare an inventory of items to be moved.
- Determine the amount of value coverage needed on your goods.
- Determine what packing services you will need.
- Arrange to pick up or have us deliver the cartons that you’ll need.
- Collect and sort mail for listing address changes.
- Notify the post office and fill out a change of address card.
- Send address change to friends and businesses.
- Obtain all medical and dental records.
- Transfer insurance records.
- Check auto licensing requirements.
- Notify schools and make arrangements for sending transcripts to new schools.
- Arrange for the shipment of pets and obtain immunization records from your vet.
- Make travel plans.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Return things borrowed and collect things loaned.
- Collect all clothing or items to be cleaned or repaired.
- Have your bank(s) transfer accounts and release a safe deposit box.
- Arrange to have utilities disconnected here and connected at the new home.
- Give away or donate to a charitable organization items you don’t plan to move. Get a signed receipt for tax purposes.
SEVEN DAYS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Dispose of all flammables.
- Set aside items to be packed into your car.
- Start packing suitcases you can live out of before we arrive at your new home.
- In a special carton, place items you will need as soon as you arrive (soap, towels, coffee, cooking pots, etc.). Mark this box: LOAD LAST – UNLOAD FIRST.
- Contact newspaper(s) to stop delivery.
- Contact your cable company to have the service turned off.
THE DAY BEFORE THE MOVE
- Empty and defrost your refrigerator and freezer.
- Set up for a simple breakfast the next morning that won’t require much refrigeration or cooking. Use paper plates.
- Finish packing your personal belongings.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Be on hand when the movers arrive, or arrange to have someone there, to answer questions.
- Accompany the van operator while he inventories your goods.
- Make a last-minute check on your appliances to see that they have been serviced.
- Sign (and save) your copy of the bill of lading and make sure the delivery address and phone numbers are correct.
- Before leaving the house, check all closets and cabinets. Make sure windows and doors are locked.
- Keep our number, 1-800-245-8563, on hand, so that you can contact us if final arrangements have not been made for delivery.
- Be present at unloading and have a plan for the placement of furniture.
- Check the condition of your belongings. If any items are missing or damaged, note this on your inventory sheet and shipping papers, then contact our office.
- If your utilities have not been connected, call them for this service, and have them check your appliances for proper operation.
- Have a Healthy and Happy future in your new home!